I have never before heard of the Liebster Award, but am I ever happy to be nominated! Thanks James for the honour. I normally post weekly, but I’m making an exception here, to have a little fun. You know, mingle a little.
Rules for The Liebster Award Nomination:
- each nominee must link back the person who nominated them
- answer the 11 questions
- nominate 11 other bloggers for this award who have less than 500 followers
- create 11 questions for your nominees to answer
- you can’t nominate the one who tagged you
- let the nominees know that they have been nominated by going to their blog and notifying them
Here are the 11 questions given to me:
- What is your earliest travel memory? I was 5 years old the first time I flew in a plane on my own. I was sat next to this great old grandpa who kept me occupied the entire time. I was sold on independent travel after that. It’s a great way to meet people!
- What motivated you to start blogging? I’ve been running a non-profit organization that sources international volunteers for Ugandan community based organizations. Since 2005, I’ve been running off my feet coordinating volunteers and community development projects. However, in April of this year, the world stopped coming to Uganda. I had so few volunteers that I started to get lonely. I suddenly had no one with which to discuss issues like international travel and volunteering, supporting locally led initiatives, and cultural exchange. My answer? Start a blog!
- Would you rather be faced by a horse sized duck or 12 duck sized horses? The latter, I’m a multi-tasker.
- Who’s your inspiration? Esther. She and I have been working together since 2005. She’s patient, resilient, and so freaking peaceful.
- Coffee or Tea? COFFEE
- What’s your biggest fear? Having to leave Uganda and raise my son anywhere else.
- If you could take one thing with you to a desert island what would it be? Solomon Gursky Was Here, by Mordecai Richler. Or my kid.
- What do you think makes a great blog post? I like well thought out posts that have a direction: beginning, middle, end. They start out with a personal event, take me through a journey, and give me a positive outcome for life’s general struggles. And pictures. I love pictures!
- Would you rather spend the rest of your life looking like a ninety year old but feeling like a twenty year old, or looking like a twenty year old and feeling like a ninety year old? Ha! Trick question, the older you get, the more you realize what you look like doesn’t matter! No one could possibly choose the latter. Besides, I need the energy of a 20 year old to keep up with my toddler. He thinks I’m beautiful no matter what.
- What’s your favourite movie? The English Patient (this dates me, I know)
- Red or white wine? White
Here is the list of my 11 nominees (go ahead, get to know each other if you don’t already):
Here are my questions for those 11 nominees:
- When and why did you start blogging?
- What are the main factors that guide you in deciding where to holiday or travel?
- Books or movies?
- How many people make up your household?
- What is your favourite city?
- How do you choose new bloggers to follow?
- Whom do you trust most in the world?
- How many times have you changed career since starting to work?
- Do you do your best work in the morning or at night?
- Sweet or salty?
- For the East Africans on my nominee list – What’s the main thing you want people to know about East Africa? For the others – Have you ever been to East Africa? If not, what’s stopping you?
I loved this challenge. It’s a great way to meet new bloggers and get more into the wordpress community. I’ve only been doing this for a few months, and I love it! Can’t wait to read what my nominees write!